Addition fact flashcards

This morning, my baby found a set of addition flashcards I had bought at some yardsale, and scattered them on the floor.

While picking them up, I was lamenting in my mind the fact how they are not usable with my other daughter. The set has 32 cards so obviously it doesn't cover all basic addition facts. It seems to have just random ones, such as 7 + 6 = __ or 8 + 4 = __ or 2 + __ = 2 or 1 + __ = 5 all mixed together.

But what I'd want for right now is those cards only where the sum is five:
0 + __ = 5 and 5 + __ = 5
1 + __ = 5 and 4 + __ = 5
2 + __ = 5 and 3 + __ = 5

That's the approach I have used in my ebook Addition 1: to practice the facts in small groups, grouping them by the sum.

First you could study those facts where the sum is 4, then those with sum 5, and so on.

That would make more of a logical approach to all this fact practicing. You know, everybody understands that you're supposed to memorize multiplication tables by the tables and not by 'all at once' or in random order.

So obviously some sort of organization is good when practicing addition facts, too.

Did your math book have that?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conversion chart for measuring units

Geometric art project: seven-circle flower design

Meaning of factors in multiplication: four groups of 2, or 4 taken two times?