Recommendations for pre-algebra

Folks often ask me how far I'm planning to write my Math Mammoth complete curriculum (the Light Blue books). Right now I'm finishing up 5th grade. After that, I will be writing 6th grade. But, I'm not really planning to go on after that.

I feel a child who will have finished Math Mammoth 6th grade (once it is available) is probably ready for pre-algebra for 7th grade. Perhaps not all children won't be, but a good portion of those who use Math Mammoth should be.

Pre-algebra is sort of "in-between" course. It is bridging the world of numerical computations of elementary math, and the world of algebra where we manipulate variables. Pre-algebra courses typically cover these topics:



Photo by ecumaniac
* integers
* fractions, decimals
* factors, exponents
* solving linear equations
* solving linear inequalities
* ratio and proportion
* percent
* graphing linear functions
* Pythagorean theorem and other geometry topics
* some statistics and probability.

Most students take prealgebra in 8th grade, just prior to taking algebra 1. However, it is possible to study these topics in 7th grade as well, if the student has a good foundation from grades 1-6. And that is what I'm aiming for in writing Math Mammoth - a good enough foundation of concepts so the student can go on to pre-algebra after 6th grade.

I have prepared an article that talks more about the various pre-algebra book choices.

Comments

Martha said…
Thank you for your excellent curriculum. We have been using the Light Blue Series now for almost three years (beginning with Grade 3) and are exploring the next step- pre-algebra. Though I feel we could easily move from Grade 5 straight into pre-algebra we will be staying on track until Grade 6 is complete. Due to your input and recommendations in this matter I feel confident that no matter what curriculum we choose next my son will be prepared for the higher math to come. I have recommended (and will continue) Math Mammoth to several families. We have found it easy to use, rigorous, and the support I have received- straight from Maria herself- has been unbeatable!

Popular posts from this blog

Conversion chart for measuring units

Geometric art project: seven-circle flower design

Meaning of factors in multiplication: four groups of 2, or 4 taken two times?