Math Mammoth Grade 3 is now aligned to the Common Core. In this post I try to outline what is same and what is different about this edition compared to the previous one.
What is same?
- The focus on single-digit multiplication and division is the same. I did add more varied word problems to these two sections, and other little 'enhancements' as I edited the lessons, but no major changes here.
- Also, much of the addition, subtraction, and place value topics are the same. There are some slight differences, yes, but not major ones.
- Time and money sections are the same.
What is different?
- The geometry chapter has been pretty much redone. Now, it concentrates on the concepts of area and perimeter (according to Common Core standards). Before, I did have one lesson on area, but also other concepts, such as right angles and parallel lines. Those will be moved to 4th grade.
- In measuring, I have removed most of the content that dealt with conversions between the measuring units, as that is a topic for 4th grade in the standards. I did leave some content and easy exercises about it, though, as I feel 3rd graders are able to do such. I also reorganized some of the material here and added new measuring activities.
- In fractions, I added the topics of fractions on a number line, equivalent fractions, and comparing fractions, and removed the topic of adding and subtracting like fractions.
- The topic of decimal number has been taken off from this grade.