Tilings and shapes on the way

Today we went to town, for most of the day. At one point I noticed I was walking on hexagonal tiles, and I noted that to my daughter.

From then on, we just kept looking around at store floors, walls, the sidewalk to find various tiling patterns. Most of them were either simple squares, or were using rectangular tiles, but with rectangle-shape tiles people had made all sorts of different designs or patterns. In some, the tiling combined two different shapes.

She especially enjoyed seeing the 'artistic' ones (not true mathematical tilings) where people just had put all sorts of broken tile pieces in a cement.

I guess that was our math lesson of the day. Made the long walking around town go quicker for her, for sure!

Tags: , , ,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conversion chart for measuring units

Geometric art project: seven-circle flower design

Meaning of factors in multiplication: four groups of 2, or 4 taken two times?